National Disaster Management Services
The terrestrial communication network is prone to failure during disaster. To mitigate this problem NDMA has started the project to provide reliable telecommunication infrastructure to the SDMA and selected DDMAs. It is a part of information communication technology (ICT) services to assist Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), National Disaster Respond Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) in taking appropriate decision in during time of disaster.
National Disaster Management Services (NDMS) has been planned using satellite media by developing very small terminal (VSAT) out reach 120 locations in the country as listed below-
MHA - 01
NDMA - 01
NDRF HQ - 01
All States/ UTs HQ - 36
Selected Districts - 81
- This network is further backed up with terrestrial network and HF Radio. The project is being implemented by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- The total estimated cost of Rs. 19.54 Cr is to be utilized by BSNL- the implementing agency ( Rs 18.34 Cr excluding taxes) and NDMA.
- The project is to be implemented in 24 months from the date of project initiation and steering committee formation i.e. Feb 2016.
In Meghalaya, this programme is undergoing in State Emergency Operating Centre (EOC), District Emergency Operating Centre (EOCs) of East Garo Hills, West Garo Hills & West Jaintia Hills. 1 (one) technical person per site has been recruited by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)and been posted in respective EOCs
Scope of the NDMS Pilot Project
The pilot project is to provide the reliable telecommunication infrastructure and technical support for Emergency Operation Center (EOC) operations at MHA, NDMA, NDRF HQ, States & selected vulnerable districts.
Broad Objective of the Project
- Voice calls between EOCs of disaster affected Districts, States NDMA, NDRF HQ and MHA during disaster on priority and in peace time to other EOCs in a restricted way.
- Internet, Email, Landline (outgoing) and mobile (outgoing), Web Services from the disaster site freely and to other places in restricted way.
- IVRS feature.
- EPABX feature will be made available through the Universal Gateway which will have the facility to transfer the telephone calls on any of the media including HF, Satellite, terrestrial network or any other mode including intercoms.
- HF Radio connectivity.
- Receive information/ services as provided by various forecasting and warning agencies (CWC, IMD, INCOIS, and GSI etc.) from their portal.
- GIS Map services provided by NIC, Geo Spatial Services of NRSC, NDMA and other agencies shall be made available in the EOCs.
- Providing single view of disaster from the disaster affected site as far as possible to all the stakeholders through integration of various information (audio, video and data) feeds from Handicam /Tablets and other related devices and systems.
- Provide platform for strategy and information interchange with MHA, NDMA, NDRF HQ, States/UTs/ selected Districts and other disaster relief agencies.
Basic Features of NDMS Network
- Control Room at MHA and NDMA already connected to NICNET at34 Mbps leased line from NIC Data Center.
- State/ District Head Quaters are already connected with SWAN and will be connected through VSAT, Satellite Phone, and HF Radio under this project.
- VSAT at all the 120 locations shall be provided using the existing BSNL VSAT Network/ HUB.
- VSAT & Satellite Phone connectivity shall be integrated to enable important subscribers at all level to speak in case of terrestrial communication breaks down.
- Calls to Land line and GSM Network as well as internet connectivity will be made available through this network and Video Conferencing facility can also be extended.
- This Network will be available during the peace/ normal time also.
- In other locations EPABX feature and limited IVR facility will be available with a scope of further enhancement.
- State Government / District Administration shall provide the requisite space for installation VSAT and other associated equipment.
- State Governments shall also provide the following requirement:
- Availability of adequate furniture for keeping the equipment.
- Proper electrical earthing for safety of the equipment.
- Air conditioning of premises if required.