Community Volunteers in Disaster Response in India-“Aapda Mitra”
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has approved a Centrally Sponsored Scheme focus on training of 6000(Six Thousand) Community Volunteers in Disaster Response in 30 Most Flood Prone District (200 Volunteers per District) of 25 State in India. South West Garo Hills District, Ampati of Meghalaya has been identified falling under this scheme. The district has been identified taken into account of occurrence of floods in the past.
The scheme aims to provide the 200 community volunteers by enhancing their skills so that they would need to respond to the community immediate need after a disaster. Thereby, enable them to take necessary precaution steps on basics relief, search and rescue operations in disaster preparedness such as Floods, Flash floods and urban flooding etc.
Standardised Training modules will be developed at the national level and training instruction identified at the State level which will impart training to the selected volunteers from the project district.
- To trained able bodies community volunteers in disaster respond (Flood relief and rescue) at block level in each of the project district. These trained volunteers will be called as Aapda mittra
- To developed standardised training modules for the set of training under the scheme.
- To trained the volunteers in life savings skills of disaster respond co-ordination and assistance and provide personal protection equipments and emergency responder kit.
- To create a community emergency reserve at the district/ block level containing essential light charge and rescue equipments, medical first aid kit etc.
- To disseminate training and education tool developed under the project to more number of flood prone district in subsequent phases of the scheme.
- 200 Nos. Trained Community Volunteers in the selected district of South West Garo Hills District, Ampati.
- Training institution will be empanelled to impart training to the volunteers.
- A full fledged information and knowledge management system will be reservoir of all training materials, inventory off resources will be integrated with NDMA website.
Time Frame- 24 months for the completion of the project
- NDMA will implement the scheme with partnership respective SDMA & DDMAs. NDMA will be response for overall technical guidance, supervision, monitoring and project financing.
- SDMA shall be responsible for programme implementation/ administration and supervision at the district level though DDMAs.
- Administrative in charge at the local level for implementation of the scheme will be DDMA.
- Training institutions at State/District level will be responsible for conditioning training.
- DDMA of the project district shall finalise the list of volunteers.
- After successful completion of the training, the trained volunteers will be certified jointly by NDMA, SDMA and training institution and will be given a emergency responder kit.
- The scheme also has provision of seeds money for augmentation of emergency stock pile at district level.
Fund allocation under the scheme/ per project district. The total fund allocation under the said scheme for 1 (one) project district is Rs. 45.50 Lakhs.